Follow lauxmyth on Twitter

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Inclusive Language and the WWW

You will notice I seldom refer to a locksmith as 'he' or 'him' since I know some women in the trade. I want my writing to speak to all and find I can do that without much effort and usually readers will not even notice it is gender neutral.

Likewise, I have written before on the Web and know it is World Wide. I will try to give measurements in imperial and metric. This is a bit tougher as most of the locks we deal with are given in specifications using thousandths of an inch or just 'thou' commonly.

I also know I will be read by many who do not speak English as a first language. This means some of my casual language, while funny here, is confusing in other places. I want to have fun but if you do not know what I mean, feel free to write a comment saying just that.

In fact, on any of these points, feel free to toss a message and I will edit a post if you convince me there is a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment