Follow lauxmyth on Twitter

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Driving While Dangerous

Here in Alberta, there is a new law prohibiting the use of cellular phones while you drive.  It took the province long enough.  It seemed it needed some research.  I had been doing the research for years by observation of myself and others.  I found that when I tried to talk on a cell and drive, I made driving errors.  I had mostly stopped answering while I drove and now with the new employer I am directed not to answer.  Just as well.

I have to be clear, it is not just my errors I could notice.  I would see a vehicle drift over a lane line or just sway within its lane. Other times, you could see the vehicle slow down or fully change a lane without signalling.  Upon getting beside the vehicle, I could see the driver talking or even worse texting.  However, when I am beside a vehicle which I saw failed to stay in its lane, I felt in peril.  If the driver left the lane once it could again.

So I have started to honk my horn as I pass such vehicles thinking if I saw a lack of lane control a few times and now I am about to pass, I must be careful the driver does not move into me.  I honk a series of steady short blasts.  It is designed to 'wake' the driver up and get me more mental attention.

To the guy in the white SUV on Thursday morning on the Yellowhead Trail westbound at about 156 Street, that is why I was honking.  You looked both confused and angry and yet you did not hang up. I will honk again in passing you if I see you breach the lane lines twice before I pass your vehicle.  To the person to whom he was speaking, you bear some responsibility too.  If you hear a series of short horn honk, hang up and call again later.  Is any call worth that much??


--- --- --- --- ---
The contents of this post are released for non-profit or educational use in whole or in part provided this statement and the attribution below are kept attached.

Laux Myth ... Thoughts From a Locksmith
By MartinB, Found @ http://lauxmyth.blogspot.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment