Follow lauxmyth on Twitter

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Pin Usage Frequency in LAB Smart Wedge LSW005

I have taken on the role of setting up a locksmithing operation within a larger company which does many other related building tasks.  As such, I am the local expert on the insides of the locks.  There are many within the hardware specification department who know about lock functions, fire rating and finishes. It is a once in a lifetime chance as I buy tools to do the tasks which are on the horizon without too many errors and sitting on unused stock and tools.

To that end, I have purchased a universal pin kit -- the LAB Smart Wedge LSW005. I like the size shape and stock of this kid and it has reasonably appropriate tables on the lid for most of my work.  However, when first purchased each cell contains 72 pins and I have started to run thin on some.  I was thinking of doing a pin order based on the locks I will most likely see and wondered what sizes will run dry first.  Being the geek  I am, I gave it to a spreadsheet and analysed for Yale GA, WR5, Sargent LA, and Schlage. (I will run into Corbin System 70 in time too but this gets me started and then you have to consider both plug sizes.)

So what sizes won?  Not so fast.
Not all the pins were even used by these four key systems. From 165 thou to 355 thou the 11 sizes were never used once.  Although in the real world, they will get used for other less common brands or to fit a badly cut key to only one lock.

One size was hit 3 times [drum roll] it was 240 thou [cymbal crash].  The following sizes are used by two of the above systems:  170, 180, 210, 220, 260, 270, 275, 295, 310, and 330 thou.

 For those as nerdy as I, here is the table.


And remember, keep your follower on the plug.

--- --- --- --- ---
The contents of this post are released for non-profit or educational use in whole or in part provided this statement and the attribution below are kept attached.

Laux Myth ... Thoughts From a Locksmith
By MartinB, Found @ http://lauxmyth.blogspot.com/

1 comment:

  1. FOr my 2 bits worth I always try to use a 003 kit, as the pins have the slight taper on top to help with binding and there are a few more sizes which helps to match the manudfacturers spec more closely.

    ReplyDelete